Speak

"Art without emotion is like chocolate cake without sugar. It makes you gag. The next time you work on your trees, don't think about trees. Think about love, or hate, or joy, or pain- whatever makes you feel something, makes your palms sweat, or your toes curl. Focus on that feeling. When people don't express themselves, they die on piece at a time." -Speak

Thursday, January 19, 2012

C'est Moi

Who knew I would actually be extremely happy with the way my self-portrait turned out? I started painting and suddenly a face formed under my paintbrush. This surprised me because I had very little idea of what I was actually doing. I was primarily guessing and checking as I went, which could have destroyed my art work. When I first finished the painting I had no desire to ink over and wash it because I was so happy with what I had created.


But I finally got the courage to layer over it with ink (after I asked Ms. Kiick diluted it of course, I wasn't that brave). I was very careful in the whole process so I would not take away to much of the vibrancy. Though the picture did come out slightly more muted but over all I think it just made the picture more subtle. The pencil allowed me to detail and highlight my favorite parts. Over all I was very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment